Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

2000 Pro Sport Fall Away

Discussion in 'Technical Bulletins and Recalls' started by luxurious575, May 7, 2015.

1. luxurious575

luxurious575 Member

My Bike(s):
    2000 Big Dog Pro Sport
    First Name:
    Zach
    Hey everyone! I need to know everything about doing a fall away adjustment on my 2000 big dog pro sport. I need everything from torque specs etc..

Thanks!:cheers:

2. KaptinAmerika

KaptinAmerika Well-Known Member

My Bike(s):
    2006 Big Dog K9
    First Name:
    Curtis
    There are no torque specs.

Put the bike in the air.
    Loosen the triple tree stem nut lock screw, back side of the lower triple tree.
    You may have two screws. An outer locking screw and an inner set screw. So pull the screw all the way out to make sure.
    Standing in front of the bike, put the tire in the center of its turning path.
    Hang a plumb bob, it can be a string with a nut tied to the end, so that the string is at the center of the tire.
    Make sure you don't have cables binding that could affect the fall away.
    Now gently start pushing the tire to the left.
    When the tire begins to fall away from your hand that is the point of fall away.
    Measure that distance.
    Now do the same to the right.
    If you have the brake on the left side of the wheel, sitting on the bike looking forward, then you generally want 2-4" to the left and 1-3" to the right, that's left and right as your standing in front of the bike looking towards the rear.
    The fall away is less to the side with the brake caliper because of the additional weight of the caliper, rotor etc.

Of course to set the fall away accurately the neck bearings need to be in good condition and lubricated properly.

Test ride the bike.
    If you like the feel then your good.
    If it still feels a little loose then tighten the stem nut a little more, meaning 1/16 of a turn.

Install the stem nut locking screw with blue loc-tite, install the locking screw with blue loc-tite.

3. FrankBDPS

FrankBDPS Well-Known Member

My Bike(s):
    2ooo ProSport 1997 Honda Night Hawk
    First Name:
    Frank
    Great write up Curtis! That should be a sticky. If you have trouble getting the set screws out use a little heat like from a heat gun or a hair drier. They may have lock tite on them and the heat will loosen them up.