08 K9 Won't Start

Energy One

CURDOG

I've read a lot of the EHC threads and I hope my EHC is not defective because I'd like to keep my bike stock but my intermittent problem on my 08 K9 has finally become permanent. Here's what I have....

My bike's always garage kept and always on a tender, I do all my regular maintenance and the only problem I've had (other than this one) was when I first installed a HID headlight but after working through that problem, nothing but problem free riding until recently. My bike currently won't start at all and the first thing I did was remove the HID and replaced it with a stock bulb, thinking that may be the problem.....it wasn't.

In testing, here's what I have:

Battery voltage - 13.15v, all connectors checked and cleaned, bolts tight.
Key on - headlight comes on, speedo sweeps to 60mph and back, green (controller) light on EHC flashes and amber (power) lights comes on steady

Press Run button - Red (ignition) LED on EHC lights up.....so far, so good

Press Start button - compression releases click but starter doesn't engage

I unplugged the green wire to starter solenoid, key on - 4.7v, Run button pressed - 4.7v, Start button pressed - 4.7v

I've disassembled the handlebar controls and inspected and Di-greased, I've unplugged the EHC connections and Di-greased them, checked starter ground.....all clean and visibly fine. All lights and turn signals work fine.

Anyone have any ideas? The flow chart for the starter solonoid says there should be 8 volts standing at the starter solenoid (green wire) so I'm thinking that may be the issue.

Thanks in advance.

CURDOG

I just remembered that my speedo fogs up (like everybody else's) so I'm pulling it now to check connections in the slim chance that it could be part of the problem. It doesn't seem like the speedo should cause a starting problem but what the hell. Maybe I'll replace the speedo while I have it off?

CURDOG

Just pulled the speedo, signs of condensation having set in the bottom of the housing but all connections clean and dry. :confused: Oh well, it was worth a look.

CURDOG

Yea, the flow chart for the starter and solenoid but I don't have a breakout box to look at individual pins.

erldawg

Guru
After reading Moe's start thread looks like it may be something up the line if you don't have 12V on the green wire. Did you have the battery out recently?

Bad relay maybe, check crimps at the battery ....

CURDOG

Erl, I replaced my battery a few months ago thinking that was the problem. Crimps at the battery checked, they're solid and clean and connection tight.

CURDOG

After reading Moe's start thread looks like it may be something up the line if you don't have 12V on the green wire. Did you have the battery out recently?

Bad relay maybe, check crimps at the battery ....
The wiring diagram shows the power feed to the solonoid coming directly from the EHC.

erldawg

Guru
There's a couple more tests to do pg 14-10, 14-7, . Under Start button continuity tests and if that's good then continuity from the A1 pin on ECH harness to starter.

My guess is if it's something that has happened in the past and has finally came to the point where nothing works then bad / open connection somewhere or bad ECH which I hate to say because the newer ECH's seem to be more durable.

When I had my tank off last winter I saw wires being worn through from the gas tank so look arounf for that also...

CURDOG

Moe had a no start thread let me see if I can find it. Did you look at the troubleshooting flow chart?

http://www.bigdogbiker.com/forums/how/26704-what-do-if-starter-wont-turn.html#post379715
Erl, I read Moe's starter thread and I've previously removed and inspected the starter and there was no problem, it was clean and contacts were in good shape. Put it back and I've ridden it since then. I believe the problem is low voltage to the solonoid when I press the start button. That's why I pulled the right side controls and inspected and Di-greased them. The fact that the CR's are engaging seems to rule out the start button.

Last edited:

CURDOG

I'll pull the tank next but when it was off to paint after I first bought the bike I inspected all the harness under the tank. I was going to heat shrink everything but the harness was already protected well, or at least I thought it was. The reason I haven't already pulled the tank is the CR's are working fine and the wiring diagram shows them on the same circuit as the starter solonoid from the start button to the EHC. :bang:

erldawg

Guru
Good point I would agree. jump over to the check continuity from EHC to starter solenoid green wire no need to pull the tank.

Alternately you could check the start button at the EHC connector B6 -B28 should have continuity when the start button is pressed.

CURDOG

I have 4.7v so I have continuity, just not enough to pull the solenoid in when I hit the starter. The EHC provides the voltage for the CR's and solenoid when the start button is pressed so I'm thinking it's the EHC but I'd need a good one to swap out and know for sure.

N8KAM

I have 4.7v so I have continuity, just not enough to pull the solenoid in when I hit the starter. The EHC provides the voltage for the CR's and solenoid when the start button is pressed so I'm thinking it's the EHC but I'd need a good one to swap out and know for sure.
Voltage and Continuity are two different things.. you need to isolate the starter relay wire and check it's continuity or Load test the wire using a "full sized headlamp" From the EHC connector to starter.
Can you get it to crank by using a 12-14gage jumper wire from the battery to the starter "green" wire connector?

CURDOG

N8, let me try the jumper. On voltage vs. continuity, what I meant was I have voltage so I also have continuity on the wire. Be right back....

davesridgeback

Got exactly the same problem. compression release same clicking, only right front blinker wont flash. This is the third module, everytime i have problems, always comes back to the MODULE!!! Try wiresplus.com

erldawg

Guru
No luck with the jumper wire. There's still hope...
The jumper from the battery to the solenoid where the green wire connects should have forced it to turn over.
At this point I would go back to Moe's thread and I think he had a how to on jumping across a couple of terminals to see if the starter cranks and or removing the cover off the solenoid and manually engage the plunger.
This will rule out the starter.