05 ridgeback carb

Mike manson

i put all the screws back to s&s stock the bike will run with the choke on as soon as i shut choke off stalls should i turn the mixture screw out more

Mike manson

Yea i set it up to s&s carb instructions but it wont run unless choke is on the bike i just bought like 3 months ago back fired horribly so i thought if id reset from factory then adjust it might of been way to go i have no clue what the other guy did

Unsprung

In the Potters hand...
i put all the screws back to s&s stock the bike will run with the choke on as soon as i shut choke off stalls should i turn the mixture screw out more
Funny, I just got through re-adjusting my carb about 15 minutes ago. The stock settings are only enough to get the bike running. You will need to fine tune using S&S carb instructions. I’ll see if I can locate and post unless someone else gets to it before I do.

Unsprung

In the Potters hand...
Yea i set it up to s&s carb instructions but it wont run unless choke is on the bike i just bought like 3 months ago back fired horribly so i thought if id reset from factory then adjust it might of been way to go i have no clue what the other guy did
Ok you have them. Great. Backfire could be caused by several things, (missing baffles in exhaust, intake or exhaust leaks, running rich). Carb setting is a basic beginning and go from there. Lots of help here and lots of guys smarter than me will chime in soon.

Unsprung

In the Potters hand...
I followed the s&s instructions and had a slight backfire so I did it over. My mixture screw is further out than I would like but the bike is running nicely. It was blowing a small flame from front cylinder pipe on startup but I think it’s good now. Response is good and will ride in the morning to verify. Every carb is different and may adjust differently from the last time, (imho).

woodbutcher

Mr. Old Fart member #145
Staff member
for basic understanding, that is NOT a choke. it is an enrichener, which, instead of letting more air into the carb, it allows a steady stream of fuel into the carb. if at all possible, use the enrichener only when really cold and won't start any other way, and as soon as it cranks, push it off and use the throttle to keep it running. use of the enrichener will foul the plugs in a heartbeat. if it only runs with the enrichener on, there is definitely a problem somewhere else.

Unsprung

In the Potters hand...
if it is taking the added fuel from the enrichener to keep it running, check for an intake leak which would be allowing too much air to enter the cylinders.
In my experience, (short time), the 1/2 turn on the idle speed screw doesn’t always let enough air in to keep the bike running. The screw could be worn at the tip or loose threads, bent tab, etc.