05 chopper front brake upgrade

Energy One
Hi All,

I have recently had a problem with my front brake which was caused by the caliper mounting bracket bending / warping.

The bracket that mounts the caliper to the front fork was bent slightly which put the brake out of allignment, causing it to break its seals and fail.

My mechanic reckons that the design of the front brake caliper mount is not good for such a large machine. For now I will source a new bracket but its likely to happen again at some point right?

Has anyone had this problem?
Is it common?
Is there anyway to up rate the front braking mechanism so you have either a) more braking power or b) a better mounted caliper that won't warp its bracket and fail?

Thanks guys, appreciate your time...
:2thumbs:

I discussed a few options with my mechanic Stu (top bloke by the way) and one of the suggestions was new front forks that had a better caliper mounting mechanism. Im not really up for spring forks though. Any suggestions around new forks for better braking?

Maybe its possible to rebuild the bottom end of the front forks so you can have better front calipers for better braking?

cheers

francoblay1

The Spaniard
Maybe a rebuild front brakes Kit would do.... never heard of that problem before....

Make sure you straighten the brackets.... not common to bend.... weird!

Mr. Wright

Knows some things
Supporting Member
Same here. How many of these bikes were made, and this is the first time I've heard about this.

nope shes had an easy life. never dropped. I treat her with the respect she deserves.

Stu did straighten up the bracket after heating it up but its still not perfect and front braking is at about 50% of what it was before. TBH it wasn't all that good before.

hmmm ok. If you haven't seen this before then maybe its just a one off and a new bracket will permanently fix.

Maybe someone at some point had a disc lock on it and pulled away or something...

FrankBDPS

I was just looking at mine. Is he getting the caliper spaced so that the rotor is in the center. What brake pads are you running? If the brake feel is soft at the lever there may be air in the system. Those four piston brakes should have plenty of stopping power.

It's improved a bit after riding about today. Pads bedding in I guess. No idea what parts used but I'm glad to hear nobody heard of this before. Replacement bracket = confidence thanks guys

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
Never heard of this issue before that brake bracket is pretty beefy in my opinion. I really font see how it could be designed better.