BIG DOG Motorcycles Forum  
Go Back   BIG DOG Motorcycles Forum > Big Dog Motorcycles > Technical

Technical Technical related discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2010, 06:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Dick Larkin
Member #: 4861

My Bike(s): 2006 Big Dog K9, 2004 Victory Vegas

glarkin is an unknown quantity at this point
Speedometer (yeah just one more)

Hi all, I have (I think) read ever thread on the Speedometer, but still not sure how I can fix mine. Other than a digital one. My bike is an 2006 with 1200 miles. When I picked it up the previous owner told me that the speedometer pegged for the first time on the ride over. At the time, I had no idea that these things had so many issues with speedo's and was not all that concerned. I rode it back home (about 60 miles), it went from 20 below the actual speed to being correct. Now it is pegged all the way over, right before it did this the tach went crazy and do a light show all the way across. I had the battery checked and it was ok, I bought a real good charger and it has been on that for 3 days. It did work good the other day and then went crazy and now pegged all the way over. Once it was pegged the other way (below zero) and it would come up a little when I accelerated but now it just sets. It also would sweep now it does nothing. I saw the u tube on the fix and it makes sense on why it does it, but I am not sure how I do that as a fix, mine has the plug with the pointed end and not a flat one. Do I have another problem that is causing it that would effect the wiring or doing the replacment of the EHC. (I hope not). Every thing else works great. Did cut out the other day a couple of times, but running started and is now running fine. Sorry probly over did it on info, but wanted to provide everything I could think of. Please help me with some advice, thanks much.
glarkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Name: Bruce
Member #: 644

My Bike(s): 2005 BDM Chopper

Roaddawg is on a distinguished road
I recently had that issue and it was the red (positive) wire from the battery to the 40 amp fuse. This wire was abraded and shorting out at the battery terminal
Roaddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Name: Joe
Member #: 1030

My Bike(s): 2008 Mutt

My Garage

turk1 is on a distinguished road
Sounds to me you have a short. If not at the battery then I would bet it is at the back of your speedo. Taking it apart is not difficult at all. Just make sure you have somebody around as an extra pair of hands and cover your tank to protect it. JIC!
Old 08-04-2010, 02:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

I actually have the USB type plug, but don't know what flashing means, can some explain. Also is there any step by step for taking off the speedo, and can someone tell me or show me the plug on the transmission that they say should be checked and cleaned and how to remove. Thanks very much.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member #: 4479

My Bike(s): 2008 Pit Bull

2008bully is an unknown quantity at this point
If you take the time to remove the speedo I would replace it with the Dakota Digital. Ride on...
2008bully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Made in the USA

Member #: 615

My Bike(s): 07 Bulldog, full chrome, Pergy w/gold leaf paint, V&H BR pipes, Gator & Ostrich seats

My Garage

BigDogBro1 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by glarkin View Post
I actually have the USB type plug, but don't know what flashing means, can some explain. Also is there any step by step for taking off the speedo, and can someone tell me or show me the plug on the transmission that they say should be checked and cleaned and how to remove. Thanks very much.
Do some diagnostics first before replacing anything! Why waste your cash!

Flashing simply means upgrading the EHC software (a dealer only service). The newer EHC upgrade program causes the speedo to sweep to vertical when you turn on the key and again when you start the engine. BDM did this to reset the speedo after starting the bike. Low voltage drop glitches during starting will cause the electronics to be unstable so a second reset was added at startup. (Just what the video said) Check yours for it.

The speedo pickup sensor is located on the trans top near the right side with a flat billet cover on it. You may have to remove the sensor and clean or replace it.

Barring the EHC could be going bad and based on the fact that the tach lights danced around and you said it "Did cut out the other day a couple of times, but running started and is now running fine." tells me that a (power or ground) wire connection is intermittent to the EHC or other area. Check the small wire CRIMPS for tightness at the wires on both battery terminals. I had loose wires in the crimps causing the bike to shut off going down the road, like turning off the key. Another cause is poor battery condition (low voltage) and will cause electronics to behave strangely. 12.6 - 12.8vdc not running and off charger. My little battery tender Jr. would never go into monitor float mode with my new Interstate battery so I switched back to my usual and better AGM storage charger that goes into float mode correctly once charged.

New speedo installed must have new battery?

Hope this helps!

IntelliDash
GearDash

Last edited by BigDogBro1; 08-10-2010 at 04:33 PM.
BigDogBro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Name: Woody
Member #: 3275

My Bike(s): 2006 K9

Wild Woody is an unknown quantity at this point
My K9 speedo blew up at this years ROT Rally in Austin and I replaced it with a Dakota Digital and it is awesome !
Wild Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks, I am scared when you say I may need a new EHC, does it sound like it with the cutting out and the speedo that does not work, is that a big job and expensive? Also my dog is an 06 with 1200 miles on it, original battery, I had it checked with a load check and they said it was fine. When I put it on the Xtreme charger it starts out at 50% and very soon builds to 100. So my question, is it a new battery I need and if I get one will the speedo go from pegged to working right? Or do i need the new speedo that was recommended and maybe a new battery. I had no idea these dogs would be this difficult and sensitive. Thanks all, I have been on a lot of forums, but this one is the best, and all due to you guys wanting to help us out. Thanks VERY MUCH.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member #: 2721

My Bike(s): 04 Chopper DT

silverspike is an unknown quantity at this point
I switched out the speedo on my 04 chop this spring with a Dakota Digital unit, it was gravy and it looks sweet. Mine has the original EHC and it cuts out just like you turned the key off too, then it sometimes restarts, other times not. Headlight will work, not work, high beam out with no indicator, then high beam will work and indicator is on. Mine has a new battery about a week ago, 310CCA. Checked wiring and connections, all looks good. Going WP from Jake. Just make sure you check what others have suggested, we all ride em' and many of us have been in the same or similar situations before, good luck man, let us know, curious with it only having 1200 miles.
silverspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Made in the USA

My Bike(s): 07 Bulldog, full chrome, Pergy w/gold leaf paint, V&H BR pipes, Gator & Ostrich seats

My Garage

Did you measure the battery voltage at rest and check the items I suggested? You need to start elliminating possibilities and do the diagnostics or take it to your BDM service center. These bikes use a 5vdc interface control system on some things and can have poor wiring connections at times. BDM also built in self-checks into the EHC design which causes more issues. So in order to get it running you'll need to dig in if your experience allows. There may be an "06" electrical diagram out here somewhere you could use or I can send you an "07" diagram for you to get started.

You say your "06" battery is original. I'd start there. MC batteries at best are 2-3 years using tenders on them. Check battery for 12.8v at rest after off tender for an hour is a good check. Disconnect battery and check electrical harness connections and fill with dielectric grease then reconnect it. Disconnect battery first and disconnect the two EHC box connectors and do the same for them.

Don't get the hand controls, lights, speedo, under the tank or under the seat connections and electronics or harness connections around engine direct pressure washed.

We'll all chip in as well!

IntelliDash
GearDash

Last edited by BigDogBro1; 08-10-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:05 AM   #11 (permalink)

I have checked all of the battery connections and they seem ok and tight. I will pull the transmission sensor and clean tonight. Need to check the battery and I will tomorrow. May just get a new battery and speedo. I would hope that the new Speedo from Dakota may solve it all. Thanks much
Old 08-06-2010, 12:51 AM   #12 (permalink)

Name: Jason
Member #: 72

My Bike(s): 2007 Bigdog K-9

My Garage

Byrddogg is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a 07 K-9 and my speedo kept running up and down too. Sometimes it would peg and sometimes it would shake (say u were running 40 it would jump from 25-60) Well I went with the Dakota Digital and like ALL the new ones I had replaced it with, it worked from about 2500-3000 miles and the same thing.(I also put 4 or 5 NEW speedo sensers too) You could be parked and start it and it would jump to 15-20 mph(tach never messed up on mine). Well people were saying EHC, but I was down my dads(T.Byrd) house and we were changing the oil, so we decided to take off the side covers, unplug the speedo and spray that cleaner(?-I'm not sure what) and put that dioelectric grease(I think-?) in the plugs(and it was sooo DIRTY). Well it fixed it. So now I wonder if this could of be what was wrong with the other 7 or 8 speedos I went through. Well what I did fixed mine, maybe this could help someone else.

Jason Byrd
"Byrddogg"
Byrddogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:31 PM   #13 (permalink)

Name: Rick
Member #: 3838

My Bike(s): 2006 K9

Rickster is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddogg View Post
I have a 07 K-9 and my speedo kept running up and down too. Sometimes it would peg and sometimes it would shake (say u were running 40 it would jump from 25-60) Well I went with the Dakota Digital and like ALL the new ones I had replaced it with, it worked from about 2500-3000 miles and the same thing.(I also put 4 or 5 NEW speedo sensers too) You could be parked and start it and it would jump to 15-20 mph(tach never messed up on mine). Well people were saying EHC, but I was down my dads(T.Byrd) house and we were changing the oil, so we decided to take off the side covers, unplug the speedo and spray that cleaner(?-I'm not sure what) and put that dioelectric grease(I think-?) in the plugs(and it was sooo DIRTY). Well it fixed it. So now I wonder if this could of be what was wrong with the other 7 or 8 speedos I went through. Well what I did fixed mine, maybe this could help someone else.
Byrddogg, you mentioned you unplugged the Speedo and cleaned, which plug are you speaking of, the one on the sensor or on the EHC
Rickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:08 AM   #14 (permalink)

any one else had this problem with a new Dakota Digital?
Old 08-07-2010, 04:06 AM   #15 (permalink)
Made in the USA

My Garage

Doesn't sound like Bryddogg had a speedo problem at all, but instead a connector contact problem. That's why doing the checks may save a bundle of cash. Pull the side covers off and go through (clean if needed) the connectors and wires/pins one-by-one and check for rubbing or worn wires elsewhere and fill them with the dielectric grease.

Be careful removing the side covers, the plastic tabs can crack if forced. If you still have side cover screws instead of the newer BDM pushpin upgrade then don't overtighten the screws because when the rubber squish nut expands it could crack the cover plastic around it. Once I didn't tighten them enough and the side cover fell off so I actually safety wired some drilled out hex socket head bolts before I did the BDM pushpin upgrade. On my Bulldog I have to remove one side before the other to get them off but can't remember which one first until I do it.

IntelliDash
GearDash

Last edited by BigDogBro1; 08-07-2010 at 03:04 PM.