BIG DOG Motorcycles Forum  
Go Back   BIG DOG Motorcycles Forum > Big Dog Motorcycles > Performance > Motor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2009, 06:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #: 2107

My Bike(s): 2007 Bulldog

smoothiewop is an unknown quantity at this point
.585 cam vs. .600 cam in '07 Bulldog

Has anybody had any experience with a .585 cam in a S & S 117". I had a .585 put in my '07 Bulldog, but it appears most of the guys here have the .600 with 640 springs. Would there be a noticable difference between a .585 and .600 cam? (Enough of a difference to consider upgrading to the .600 and 640 springs?)

Last edited by smoothiewop; 07-26-2009 at 07:18 PM.
smoothiewop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mark

Name: Mark
Member #: 1316

My Bike(s): 05 BD chopper, 1969 HD Chopper 65 triumph bobber 03 sportster 40 Knucklehead

My Garage

Dead Stroke is an unknown quantity at this point
I contacted S & S directly for a recommendation between the two and they recommended the 585 for my bike.

tell me about your results using the 585.

thx

[IMG] [/IMG]
Old 07-26-2009, 08:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

They recommended same here that's why it's in there. I had the cylinders cut at the same time cam was installed. Camparing before and after roll-on with buddies bike I can see an improvement, but honestly would have liked more. I didn't do anything with mapping , but am now considering Thundermax with auto tune. Plus I have Mean mother exhaust and K & N filter with a desparado cover on the way. Not really sure how much the stock ECU will adjust. I heard good things about the Thundermax, but it's around $900. On the fence as of what to do next. Thundermax or .600 cam. Leaning towards Thundermax so I'm sure that what I already have is working the way it should. Hoping to get some good advice here though in case I'm heading in the wrong direction. Some pretty smart fellas here.
What is your take on the .585 cam? Do you wish you would have gone with the .600 since so many other guys here did with good results? Did you do any remapping when you put in the .585?

Last edited by smoothiewop; 07-26-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mark

Name: Mark
Member #: 1316

My Bike(s): 05 BD chopper, 1969 HD Chopper 65 triumph bobber 03 sportster 40 Knucklehead

My Garage

Dead Stroke is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothiewop View Post
They recommended same here that's why it's in there. I had the cylinders cut at the same time cam was installed. Camparing before and after roll-on with buddies bike I can see an improvement, but honestly would have liked more. I didn't do anything with mapping , but am now considering Thundermax with auto tune. Plus I have Mean mother exhaust and K & N filter with a desparado cover on the way. Not really sure how much the stock ECU will adjust. I heard good things about the Thundermax, but it's around $900. On the fence as of what to do next. Thundermax or .600 cam. Leaning towards Thundermax so I'm sure that what I already have is working the way it should. Hoping to get some good advice here though in case I'm heading in the wrong direction. Some pretty smart fellas here.
What is your take on the .585 cam? Do you wish you would have gone with the .600 since so many other guys here did with good results? Did you do any remapping when you put in the .585?
I have not changed cam yet. Here's what my research has found given the input from a couple members that have went thru all this and are up around 120- 130 horse power. this is there recommendation on my 2005, 117 chopper.;

1.upgraded pipes from stock ( done) get rid of restrictor plates if present
2. upgraded air intake from stock (done)
3. upgrade carb to a triple xxx ( my 05 came with a shorty E )
4. S&S 600 cam or something close to 600 lift, . he started with the 600 cam then went to the woods 650 cam but you have to install valve springs to use the bigger cam. If he had the chance to do it over again he would of went right to the woods 650.
5. Thunderheart Ignition. It's my understanding that this is a major improvement and makes motor come alive.
6. Deck the cylinders, heads to get 10.5 compression,
7. Bandit Clutch to get it all to the ground

Last edited by Dead Stroke; 07-26-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Dead Stroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Sounds like I'm on the right track then. Here is what I have:
1. Mean mother pipes
2. Desperado ( S & S) air cleaner on the way.
3. Fuel injected
4. Cam installed (However probably a bit mild being a .585)
5. Thundermax auto tune will probably be next
6. Decked the cylinders already when the cam was installed.
7. Clutch I didn't plan on.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member #: 2534

My Bike(s): BullDog 2007

Throttle is an unknown quantity at this point
SmoothieWop,
Did the EFI automatically update the ignition system for the CAM? I am St. Louis and the Dealer is not sure how to increase the horsepower for an EFI motor. I want more low end torque, but can't do the work myself and resolve any issue I have created during this engine upgrade.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Certified Tech

Name: Andrew
Member #: 1520

My Bike(s): '06 Roadstar Warrior, '04 KTM 450 Super Moto

bigdogtech01 has a spectacular aura aboutbigdogtech01 has a spectacular aura aboutbigdogtech01 has a spectacular aura aboutbigdogtech01 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothiewop View Post
Sounds like I'm on the right track then. Here is what I have:
1. Mean mother pipes
2. Desperado ( S & S) air cleaner on the way.
3. Fuel injected
4. Cam installed (However probably a bit mild being a .585)
5. Thundermax auto tune will probably be next
6. Decked the cylinders already when the cam was installed.
7. Clutch I didn't plan on.
Put a good 2-1 system and you will gain low end torque. I would just find a known S&S tuning center and have them tune your bike for you. Make sure they know what they are doing and have all the training, you can mess it up and end up with major issues. The .585 will work fine with your stock heads (meaning stock porting and valves) you go with oversized valves and porting you should go with a .600 or larger. Find yourself a good motor shop and they can hook you up with everything you need that will work correctly. If you lived closer I would introduce you to a guy in my area that is setup with S&S and is a hell of a motor guy.
bigdogtech01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Certified Tech

bigdogtech01 has a spectacular aura aboutbigdogtech01 has a spectacular aura aboutbigdogtech01 has a spectacular aura aboutbigdogtech01 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttle View Post
SmoothieWop,
Did the EFI automatically update the ignition system for the CAM? I am St. Louis and the Dealer is not sure how to increase the horsepower for an EFI motor. I want more low end torque, but can't do the work myself and resolve any issue I have created during this engine upgrade.
The EFI will only adjust itself to work with aftermarket exhaust and Air cleaner. Will not adjust to work with larger cams.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

Name: SUL
Member #: 1405

My Bike(s): 05 CHOP

My Garage

MARV will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogtech01 View Post
If you lived closer I would introduce you to a guy in my area that is setup with S&S and is a hell of a motor guy.

scott?
MARV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Certified Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARV View Post
scott?
No not Scott, he does not have the training. Andrew(Andy), yes from Rochester Thunder. Has anyone told you yet we are shutting down? I am moving to binghamton at the end of this coming week. If you need anything let me know.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Longhair Redneck Geek

Name: Neil
Member #: 258

My Bike(s): Gone but not forgotten 07 Bulldog, Now a 1966 Harley Davidson FL Electra Glide

My Garage

Nomad2day is on a distinguished road
On his EFI bike he has no choice but to run the .585 cam in it. The springs are a single beehive rated for a .585 max which was not the case for the carburated bikes which had the .650 lift triple wound springs. He would have to replace the springs to go with more. The EFI also is using a flat tappet rocker arm where the carburated bike have the roller tappets in them so going with more lift on them the valve train does not suffer as it would with the flat tappet rockers. Roller rockers would also be a must to upgrade.

bigdogtech01,
Does a certified S&S tuning center wipe out the proprietary map in the ECU which is locked for upload and downloading and replace it with a open S&S Pro Tune II software which is no longer locked to the user or do they have to replace the unit with a open ECU with the S&S Software in it?

Personally I am a fan of the wide band system over the S&S single band for many reasons and I think the only reason BDM went with the S&S VFI is due to the fact S&S would only waranty the motors for one year instead of two years if they used another fuel injection system on the bikes.
I do run the Thundermax Wide Band on my built 07 Bulldog and it has been a awesome system.
Neil

Nomad2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

Name: Mike
Member #: 3277

My Bike(s): 2009 coyote

My Garage

myanoch is an unknown quantity at this point
They recomnended the 585 for mine also
I believe the 585 is a gret cam for my purpose
One the compressonis no 10.5
I run 2 up lots of times and I weigh 240lb.
With no modified igniton an shifting at 6000 max the overlamp is better for my purpose
duration compared to EPA cam is good,,
Also live in the mountains of PA.
Lots of hills,need that low end
Just my 2 sents
myanoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
We build what you Dream!

Name: Steve Studstill
Member #: 3315

My Bike(s): Many Big Dog Motorcycles! and a few nice trucks

BikersDream is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Put a good 2-1 system and you will gain low end torque. I would just find a known S&S tuning center and have them tune your bike for you. Make sure they know what they are doing and have all the training, you can mess it up and end up with major issues. The .585 will work fine with your stock heads (meaning stock porting and valves) you go with oversized valves and porting you should go with a .600 or larger. Find yourself a good motor shop and they can hook you up with everything you need that will work correctly. If you lived closer I would introduce you to a guy in my area that is setup with S&S and is a hell of a motor guy.
(I would just find a known S&S tuning center and have them tune your bike for you)

Only one in GA is us. Not many around
BikersDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
Chopper Nutt

Name: Gregg
Member #: 2783

My Bike(s): 2005 Ridgeback Chopper

Chopper117 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
No not Scott, he does not have the training. Andrew(Andy), yes from Rochester Thunder. Has anyone told you yet we are shutting down? I am moving to binghamton at the end of this coming week. If you need anything let me know.

Your not talking about Scott Palmer at Hillside Cycles NY right?
Chopper117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 06:39 PM   #15 (permalink)

Name: Earl
Member #: 466

My Bike(s): 2008 K-9 EFI

My Garage

erldawg will become famous soon enough
I find it a bit strange that the EFI engines come with flat rockers and a single wound valve spring, while the carb models come with upgraded springs and roller rockers. I wonder what the reasoning was behind that one. Did I understand that correctly?

The reason I ask is I've been I've been thinking about upgrading to .600 cam and I do have EFI, and one of my concerns was how much more do I need besides cam, springs, rockers, re-map/new system.....Bike runs good now but would like a little extra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad2day View Post
On his EFI bike he has no choice but to run the .585 cam in it. The springs are a single beehive rated for a .585 max which was not the case for the carburated bikes which had the .650 lift triple wound springs. He would have to replace the springs to go with more. The EFI also is using a flat tappet rocker arm where the carburated bike have the roller tappets in them so going with more lift on them the valve train does not suffer as it would with the flat tappet rockers. Roller rockers would also be a must to upgrade.
Neil