BIG DOG Motorcycles Forum  
Go Back   BIG DOG Motorcycles Forum > Big Dog Motorcycles > Technical > Help Wanted

Help Wanted No, not a job offer, if you're having trouble, ask for help here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 02:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Nukeranger

Name: Huw
Member #: 318

My Bike(s): 2008 Ridgeback, 02 Bonneville America, 07 Daytona 675, 01 Custom Bonneville 1968 BSA Chopper/Bobber

My Garage

Nukeranger will become famous soon enoughNukeranger will become famous soon enough
Manual Smart EHC memory/software check

I recently experienced a "power" shutdown as described by many on this forum yesterday. I have a 2008 18 LED EHC. Anyway, it was on the way to work so I coasted to a stop on the shoulder, removed the seat and noted every LED was lit except the PC Linked (far right forward LED). Of course, taking the key switch to off and back on restored everything to normal and off I went.

So, as I read my 2008 service manual page 13-39, I notice there is a manual memory/software check to help diagnose possible EHC related problems. I am not sure how many people know this. But, to start a memory check on the EHC, hold the left turn signal button in while you switch the key to the On position. The power-up circuit will not activate until the check is complete. All but the PC Link diagnostic LED will illuminate until the check is complete which is almost 3 seconds. If there is no fault, the power-up circuit turns on. I tried this and it work just fine and as described for no fault.

What I find interesting is that this is the same indications I saw when I lost power when riding to work yesterday except all the LEDs stayed lit until I took the key switch to OFF.

Does anyone know why this might happen?
Old 03-01-2012, 02:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member #: 668

My Bike(s): 2004 Big Dog Chopper, 2011? Redneck Monoshock, 2003 Roadstar Midnight, 2000 Roadstar Custom

Moespeeds will become famous soon enoughMoespeeds will become famous soon enough
Because it's an EHC of course. There is no rhyme or reason to anything it does!
Moespeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Nukeranger

My Bike(s): 2008 Ridgeback, 02 Bonneville America, 07 Daytona 675, 01 Custom Bonneville 1968 BSA Chopper/Bobber

My Garage

Nukeranger will become famous soon enoughNukeranger will become famous soon enough
I understand what you are saying Moe. I am going to try and figure this out. I ordered a new Braille just in case I have an intermittent cell problem that isn't showing itself on a load test when disconnected from the bike. I noted a starting issue which was like voltage had dropped too low but it could have been the compression releases. I have been pressing them prior to starting in case they were hanging up. I have also had one battery over 10 years ago give me a failing cell issue which was intermittent on my Triumph.

I also ordered the Big Dog Diagnostic software last night. I have check and cleaned every battery connection and the ground.

I am crossing my fingers that I can figure this out before it forcing me to install my WP on the shelf.

Huw
Old 03-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Name: Mike
Member #: 6999

My Bike(s): 2010 Bulldog, 2001 Harley Deuce, Yamaha YZ250F

My Garage

ksmike is an unknown quantity at this point
Is your bike EFI or carb? The EFI version has a bank angle sensor (tip sensor) in it that will cause a shutdown like this and light all of the leds on the EHC.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Nukeranger

My Garage

I have a carb,

The cause will either be an intermittent ground affecting all circuits or intermittent loss of voltage. Both of these are very short duration on the order of milliseconds. I am replacing the battery under warranty, plan on evaluating each connection to the battery terminals and looking at the ignition switch. The EHC is good based on its history and performance.

Huw
Old 03-02-2012, 12:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

Name: Mark
Member #: 7358

My Bike(s): EHCless 07 bulldog 117

minermark will become famous soon enough
Get rid of that POS ecu module, im doing mine right now, and when it comes off the dog, i will promply place it in the yard and pump 7 rounds of 357 into that POS....
minermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

Name: Bill
Member #: 2754

My Bike(s): 2003 pit bull (sold) & 2006 K-9 (bought)

My Garage

Five Five has a spectacular aura aboutFive Five has a spectacular aura aboutFive Five has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukeranger View Post
I have a carb,

The cause will either be an intermittent ground affecting all circuits or intermittent loss of voltage. Both of these are very short duration on the order of milliseconds. I am replacing the battery under warranty, plan on evaluating each connection to the battery terminals and looking at the ignition switch. The EHC is good based on its history and performance.

Huw
Your on the right track "Nuke" proceed with your diagnostics...it's the route I would take....I'm not convinced it's your EHC

http://imageshack.us/a/img38/1294/buildaaaa.jpg
Five Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Insert title here...

Name: Dennis
Member #: 2104

My Bike(s): '07 K-9, '90 Fat Boy, & '72 BMW R60/5

DRBarnhart will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Five Five View Post
Your on the right track "Nuke" proceed with your diagnostics...it's the route I would take....I'm not convinced it's your EHC

Dennis
Old 03-02-2012, 02:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Nukeranger

My Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by minermark View Post
Get rid of that POS ecu module, im doing mine right now, and when it comes off the dog, i will promply place it in the yard and pump 7 rounds of 357 into that POS....
Mark, send me you EHC. I'll figure out if it is bad. I don't like the idea of destroying an EHC when it might be a good one!
Old 03-02-2012, 02:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
Nukeranger

My Garage

Yep,

I am pretty sure that the EHC is good. I would never give up on a Dog part!

Huw
Old 03-02-2012, 01:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
I wish I had more money.

Member #: 159

My Bike(s): 03 Mastif

stlmikie will become famous soon enough
Pay close attention to the switch like you said Nuke. When it died I'm guessing it was like you turned the key off right? How would you test the switch? Wiggle test?

If ignorance is bliss then knock the smile off my face!
stlmikie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Nukeranger

My Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlmikie View Post
Pay close attention to the switch like you said Nuke. When it died I'm guessing it was like you turned the key off right? How would you test the switch? Wiggle test?
The ignition switch may be hard to test and I might have to remove it. The wiggle test didn't do anything.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Insert title here...

Name: Dennis
Member #: 2104

My Bike(s): '07 K-9, '90 Fat Boy, & '72 BMW R60/5

DRBarnhart will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukeranger View Post
The ignition switch may be hard to test and I might have to remove it. The wiggle test didn't do anything.
Maybe a little heat?

Dennis
Old 03-06-2012, 01:48 AM   #14 (permalink)
I wish I had more money.

Member #: 159

My Bike(s): 03 Mastif

stlmikie will become famous soon enough
If you have any friends with dogs in your area maybe you can swap with them just to test the theory? Anything I have in the way of switches isnt going to function properly on you newer bike. I may be able to dig one up. Keep us informed.

If ignorance is bliss then knock the smile off my face!
stlmikie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:04 AM   #15 (permalink)
Nukeranger

My Garage

Oh, I plan to. Yesterday, after riding over 50 miles, I came to a stop light and the bike turned off. But, for the first time it came back on electronically, then went off, then came back on. I hit the run button and start and off I went.