BIG DOG Motorcycles Forum  
Go Back   BIG DOG Motorcycles Forum > Big Dog Motorcycles > General

General General discussions about Big Dog Motorcycles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2009, 10:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Rob
Member #: 3635

My Bike(s): 2006 Big Dog K9

linx is an unknown quantity at this point
Rigid Ride Quality with 300mm Tire?

Hey guys,
I know it's been discussed a bit. I have done a search and read a lot about rigid ride quality and I know there was a recent 300mm tire thread as well. Don't beat me up, I'm just trying to find answers, lol.

I'm coming from a soft tail bike and wondering how well a rigid is going to ride with a 300mm tire. In particular I'm talking about a 2006 Pitbull. I have heard the Ridgebacks ride decent and the Pitbull's ride really rough. The roads here in Tennessee are not the best. At the beginning and end to just about every bridge is a ridiculous bump where they don't float the asphalt up well to the concrete. There's one bridge in particular here local to me that I have bottomed by soft tail out on. I managed to keep control but I'm worried about keeping control the rigid frame.

I know the best thing to do is to test drive one. I want to get down to the dealer and take it down the interstate a few miles then cruise back to the dealer on bumpy back roads to see how it feels. I haven't had time to do so b/c I've been swamped with work and it's been raining non stop.

I do a lot of "day trips" with friends. On these day trips we ride about 200 miles in a day. Other than that I will be riding it to and from work at 15 miles each way...in the dark. Also we're planning on running up to the Dragon here in the spring and that will be about 200 miles each way.

I was originally looking for a 06 or newer Mastiff or K9 until this Pitbull fell in my lap. The Pitbull is the same thing as the Mastiff but just hard tail.

I really just want to know about ride quality of a rigid with a 300 tire. Will it be a really rough ride and will I be able to enjoy the ride? I know my Dixie Chopper lawn mower has no suspension and with 4 PSI of air in the rear tire, it's the bumpiest thing on earth. I'm also concerned about cornering a 300mm tire, but I guess I can get used to that.

Thanks guys.
linx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Name: Eric
Member #: 1358

Eric is an unknown quantity at this point
I've got a 07 pitbull, & love it. yeah its a bit rough,, that the hard tail life... you learn to watch for bumps,potholes,& rough roads... yeah I have cought air going over bridges.. just keep your cool & feet on the pegs... the look of the close fender to tire is great to me.. just test one out..but then I also have a softail & touring bike.. so a hard tail wouldnt be my only bike...nuttin to ridin on a 300..
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
ground pounder

Member #: 1955

My Bike(s): 07 pitbull

pitboss is an unknown quantity at this point
He who thinks to long,thinks wrong.
pitboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Name: Anthony
Member #: 3662

My Bike(s): 2009 BDM Ridgeback

Stinky7-11 is an unknown quantity at this point
So true

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitboss View Post
He who thinks to long,thinks wrong.
If you want a ridged frame then just do it, you won't be sorry, i bought a Ridgeback and the Pitbulls are the money shot, i love them. May have to make more room!

Stinky
Stinky7-11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Name: Dan
Member #: 2992

My Bike(s): '09 Big Dog K9

PA Chopper is an unknown quantity at this point
Linx, get yourself a Mastiff. As a matter of fact, i know where you can get a real nice 09 with killer paint and chrome package.
PA Chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

Name: Rob
Member #: 3635

My Bike(s): 2006 Big Dog K9

linx is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the input guys. Anymore would be great. I'd like to hear from some Pitbull guys that actually take day trips on their rides. I've already got some day trips planned next spring.

Mastiff09, it's a sweet bike. Wish it was in my price range.
linx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 02:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Certified Gear Head!

Name: Art
Member #: 3200

My Bike(s): 2002 Pitbull, 2005 BDM Chopper Black Cherry

Artie is an unknown quantity at this point
I can't offer any help on a 300mm tire but my 02 has a 250, I have ridden many times for a full day, stopping every hour or so and no ill effects.... That being said, I have never even ridden a motorcycle much less owned one before August of 08, so my experience is a little naive at best. I love the way my Pit looks and the tire really close to the fender from the back is the only way I would go. I have hit some pretty big bumps and been airborne, but I just hold on and let the bike land straight. Maybe I'm too stupid to know any better, but I love the way it rides and looks!

2002 BDM Pitbull
2005 BDM Chopper
Artie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Name: Bill
Member #: 2754

My Bike(s): 2003 pit bull (sold) & 2006 K-9 (bought)

My Garage

Five Five has a spectacular aura aboutFive Five has a spectacular aura aboutFive Five has a spectacular aura about
all my bikes have been rigid...i love em... roads are a little rough at times but i dont pull over and stop because it's beating the hell out of me...just need to pay attention.....i run my rear tire pressure at 25psi and when the wife is on the back if even a little smoother...

my observation from most of the events i ride too ...is that 95% of the bikes are soft tail or swingarm....the remaining 5% are rigids
were a passionate breed...join us...

http://imageshack.us/a/img38/1294/buildaaaa.jpg
Five Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Certified Gear Head!

Name: Art
Member #: 3200

My Bike(s): 2002 Pitbull, 2005 BDM Chopper Black Cherry

Artie is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerbilly View Post
all my bikes have been rigid...i love em... roads are a little rough at times but i dont pull over and stop because it's beating the hell out of me...just need to pay attention.....i run my rear tire pressure at 25psi and when the wife is on the back if even a little smoother...

my observation from most of the events i ride too ...is that 95% of the bikes are soft tail or swingarm....the remaining 5% are rigids
were a passionate breed...join us...
Yeah! What Billy Said!
I have my rear tire at about 22psi, guess my 240 lb ass needs a little less pressure Bill! :O

2002 BDM Pitbull
2005 BDM Chopper
Artie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member #: 2316

My Bike(s): 2008 Pitbull, 2005 Sportster

My Garage

Baldielox is an unknown quantity at this point
I was worried about getting a rigid too but the shop I bought my '08 Pitbull from let me take her out for a ride before buying. I still love the Pitbull and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

- B
Baldielox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member #: 2208

My Bike(s): 2004 BD Pitbull, 2011 HD Street Glide

Big Mike is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by linx View Post
Thanks for the input guys. Anymore would be great. I'd like to hear from some Pitbull guys that actually take day trips on their rides. I've already got some day trips planned next spring.

Mastiff09, it's a sweet bike. Wish it was in my price range.
I've taken mine about 250 miles in a day and it was comfortable, but at about 200 miles I was ready to get off it for the day. Agree with several others here, rigids can be rough depending on your roads, but the trade off is the outstanding looks!!!

What actually bothered me the most was no cruise control. My forearm was killing me from hanging on that long. After that ride I bought a cruisemate and solved that problem
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member #: 116

My Bike(s): 2004 BD Chopper

My Garage

GDOG_PITBULL is on a distinguished road
Ride my 04 all day with no issues at all
G
GDOG_PITBULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:20 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member #: 2513

My Bike(s): 06 PITBULL

bobby bigdog is an unknown quantity at this point
i must start out saying i love my 06 pitbull. next is i lowered my 300 pressure down to 15 lbs. it rides better (alittle bit) but with the lower tire pressure my tire has a real bad wear I will try and get a pic of the wear soon.
bobby bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Name: Eric
Member #: 1358

Eric is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby bigdog View Post
i must start out saying i love my 06 pitbull. next is i lowered my 300 pressure down to 15 lbs. it rides better (alittle bit) but with the lower tire pressure my tire has a real bad wear I will try and get a pic of the wear soon.
to each his own about low tire pressure. I would worry more about the tire comming off the wheel when cornering than tire wear.. but if it works for ya great..
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:00 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member #: 221

J.T. is an unknown quantity at this point
I would never run less that 28-30 psi in the rear. Askin for trouble in my opinion.
J.T. is offline   Reply With Quote