BIG DOG Motorcycles Forum  
Go Back   BIG DOG Motorcycles Forum > Big Dog Motorcycles > Technical > Fluids!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 09:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Adam
Member #: 9117

My Bike(s): 2006 K9

Mr. Blue is an unknown quantity at this point
Question ? On Primary Oil

Ok, so this is a weird ? I have a Bandit clutch but still have the stock primary. Now, the Bandit can be used either wet or dry. My ? is do I still have to have oil in the primary? Was thinking about this the other day, and was wondering if anyone has thought about this also.
Mr. Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member #: 4751

My Bike(s): "new" 07 K9, 07heritage, 2012 cvostreetglide2011 heritage

pknowles will become famous soon enough
Your chain and sprockets still need oil. I guess you could run the bandit cultch dry with an open primary.
pknowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknowles View Post
Your chain and sprockets still need oil. I guess you could run the bandit cultch dry with an open primary.
Do they really need oil? A chain drive rear sprocket on the rear wheel dosen't need any oil.
The only real thing in there that might is the starter gear, and that's just a sprocket and bigger sprocket.
Maybe I can get some other folks to chime in on this.
Just wondering whats the differance from a close primary to a open one, other then the belt drive.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

Runs dry is the difference. I don't think the stock chain and gears are made to run dry.

Last edited by pknowles; 02-10-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

Name: Franco
Member #: 6851

My Bike(s): K9 (2006)

My Garage

francoblay1 is a jewel in the roughfrancoblay1 is a jewel in the roughfrancoblay1 is a jewel in the roughfrancoblay1 is a jewel in the roughfrancoblay1 is a jewel in the roughfrancoblay1 is a jewel in the roughfrancoblay1 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknowles View Post
Runs dry
What da man says; The difference between a close and an open primary is that the open one runs dry.
francoblay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Supporting Business

Name: Curtis
Member #: 669

My Bike(s): KKKK9 KKKK9 Pet

KaptinAmerika has a spectacular aura aboutKaptinAmerika has a spectacular aura aboutKaptinAmerika has a spectacular aura aboutKaptinAmerika has a spectacular aura aboutKaptinAmerika has a spectacular aura about
I have Never run a primary belt drive but I do believe that anything running steel to steel benefits from running proper lubrication. If it were used for all out racing I could maybe see running ATF. Of choose off that were the case then you would be running a 5" belt drive right. I can't see not running lubrication as a benefit on these bikes in anyway.
Even a chain final drive needs occasional lubrication to increase its longevity.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Mr. Old Fart

Name: Tom
Member #: 145

My Bike(s): black cherry '07 K9

woodbutcher has a spectacular aura aboutwoodbutcher has a spectacular aura aboutwoodbutcher has a spectacular aura about
without lube, that adjustment shoe is going to go away in a hurry.

narow's dad

"DEATH SMILES AT ALL OF US---ALL I CAN DO IS SMILE BACK" -- Al "Alicat" Sensoli RIP
woodbutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks tom i missed that.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member #: 7603

My Bike(s): building one

Sven will become famous soon enoughSven will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Blue View Post
Do they really need oil? A chain drive rear sprocket on the rear wheel dosen't need any oil.
Mistear Blue You got me in tears laughing. And then, I get one of these going

I then have to come up wit something like, "Don't place yourself on the red faced carpet I lay out. If you stand on it because I read the abstract above, do not take it personal. Dishere is how I bang out the other part.

I have to come up with something sexual so some cluckissfuckers get a clue? Then, they brushithe frack'inn clack'inn thought that pops up in my head.

Say we jump in the time machine, fast forward our sagging ass and dragging balls wezza old! At one time your link and her chain being young and new had the lube going. We segway to some old, pull the links back away from the sprocket and it's in the next county sorta pull your leg, hello?

So she's all red rashes. You don't look so good either with the thin skin and thin or no lube you be looking at down the road. LOL

Quote:
Maybe I can get some other folks to chime in on this.
Lets walk this thru, shall we? You need to think out of the box. Think out of the primary cover as it were. I have to believe you are not alone in this desquiddiefrying. Pull every last feather and tar out of those tentacles.

Lets say we have a chain and sprocket in a bath of oil. How is it you can't put 2 and 2 for lube/asstroglide together? You got some soaking wet belt drive in a bath of oil but keep the drive chain dry.

Lets recap the abstract... Naaaaaaaa Was that not the 'ITS
Sven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Troop Supporter

Name: Rob
Member #: 3854

My Bike(s): 05 Ridgeback / 08 Mastiff / 09 Softail Deluxe

My Garage

Brew has a spectacular aura aboutBrew has a spectacular aura aboutBrew has a spectacular aura about
So what Sven said was break out the KY Jelly and put some lube in that primary....
Old 02-10-2013, 06:14 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
So what Sven said was break out the KY Jelly and put some lube in that primary....
And some languages just seem complicated
Old 02-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #12 (permalink)

Name: Tom aka Tom Chop
Member #: 4918

My Bike(s): `06 K-9

My Garage

Tom Chop is an unknown quantity at this point
What??? I started losing track after Sven`s first sentence. I suppose that even with scandanavian/european lineage I only understand good old American style English.

Last edited by Tom Chop; 02-10-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Tom Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:28 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banjo Playing PsychoBilly

Member #: 66

My Bike(s): 2005 BD Mastiff 2009 Buell 1125R

Fibersnake has a spectacular aura aboutFibersnake has a spectacular aura aboutFibersnake has a spectacular aura aboutFibersnake has a spectacular aura about
Personaly I would think in theory one could run a dry clutch dry with a closed primary. The issue I would see is that you still have to keep the chain lubricated. Now on open chain drive you do such with good ole fashion chain lube or very good sealed lubed chains.

Hell go back to some of the old school stuff and there were open chain driven primaries, but those required routine lube of the chain, much the same as most chains do not. I know on my wife Honda, we have to lube the chain about every 500 miles or so.

So if you ran your BD closed primary without oil, how are you going to keep the primary chained lube. I guess you could pull off the outer cover and do the occasional chain lube routine, maybe even pull some links to do away with the adjusting shoe. All fine until the chain stretch and there is no way to adjust the slack out, plus the constant mess of lubing the chain and have all that good gooey chain lube slink all over the places.

Not thanks. best to keep it closed, adjusted and change the oil ever so often or go to a open primary with a regular belt.

My 2 cents.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:52 AM   #14 (permalink)

Well, I do keep oil in the primary. Just was something that ran through my head a few days ago. Thanks guys for all the comments.
Also Sven, I don't know how you come up with this stuff.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:31 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member #: 7603

My Bike(s): building one

Sven will become famous soon enoughSven will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Blue View Post
Just was something that ran through my head a few days ago... Also Sven, I don't know how you come up with this stuff.
Here is how I come up with stuff like this. If you think about it, I deal in absolutes. A real simple real world thought is fuel-spark-compression. Eliminate one and that is pretty much how you narrow down how an engine runs or won't.

So if you look at a master link, you need to show me how you are going to let that pin go dry. So the deal is, I'd say it would be pretty much a given that you rub your palms together real fast they will equally heat up from friction.

Imagine you placing your fist in your palm. Rock your fist half way up and half way down. When the roller goes around the sprocket, it rocks over half of that pin's side.

When the chain stretches, it's not a thin film of grease that already dried out a long time ago from friction. So the pin wear adds up. You pull the chain away from the teeth, its half the pin all worn out is what you're pulling on. There is your gap half way down the street.

Get it? If you flipped the chain and run the inside on the outside? You'd wear down the other half of the pin that never was being worn or touched. Ever pull a worn master link that's never been lubed? See it? So you use grease and jam it into the links with some pressure. And when that flings off and hits the back of your denim and spots it... Real Biker going bye!
Sven is offline   Reply With Quote