BIG DOG Motorcycles Forum  
Go Back   BIG DOG Motorcycles Forum > Big Dog Motorcycles > Customizing & Add-ons

Customizing & Add-ons Customizing related discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 06:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #: 9799

Kevin@AutoMeter is an unknown quantity at this point
Auto Meter Pro-cycle Speedometer Installation

First, I want to introduce myself. My name is Kevin and I work at Auto Meter. I am not here to promote our products, but to assist with a simple solution for replacing the OEM Big Dog speedometer that Auto Meter built in the past. If this violates forum rules, feel free to contact me or take the tread down.

I have had some feedback about odometer button replacements for the OEM Big Dog speedometer that speedometer has made for Big Dog. The button that was used on the BD speedos and no longer used in our products. Our current speedometers use a button that is sonically welded to the lens.

Due to the overwhelming demand for a replacement button, but lack of direct replacements, we have put together a quick and simple write up for installing a Pro-Cycle speedometer in place of the OEM BD speedo.

Due to the unavailable components for the factory Big Dog speedometers, you may come to a point where you may need to consider replacing your factory installed Big Dog speedometer. You may follow the simple guidelines below, for replacing with a readily available, Auto Meter Pro Cycle speedometer.

To replace the factory equipped Auto Meter/Big Dog (BD) speedometer with an “off the shelf” Auto Meter Pro Cycle speedometer, you will start with any of the following Auto Meter speedometers:

19340-M (metric, KPH)
19341-M (metric, KPH)

Once you have your replacement speedometer, remove the original speedometer, and see below:

1. Remove the Phillips head screw from the rear of the new, speedometer cup, and slide the cup off of the speedometer. The cup will not be used.

2. Remove the two Phillips head screws that hold the black, plastic bracket on the back of the new speedometer. This bracket & screws will not be used.

3. Remove both threaded studs from the rear of the original BD speedometer. Re-install onto the new Auto Meter speedometer where the previous Phillips head screws were.

4. Cut the BD harness off of the original speedometer, about an inch from the back of the speedometer. *TIP* Staggering the wire cuts, will make the splices less bulky when you put this harness on the new speedometer.

5. Cut the wires about an inch and a half from the back of the new speedometer.

6. Seal up the end of the orange wire of the new speedometer. It will not be used.

7. Connect the red wire of the new speedometer to the red wire of the BD harness.

8. Connect the black wire of the new speedometer to the black wire of the BD harness.

9. Connect the signal wire of the new speedometer (this may be purple or green) to the green wire of BD harness.

10. Plug in, and install your new speedometer.

11. Mark off a 2-mile distance with a vehicle that has a known/trusted accurate speedometer, and then follow the calibration instructions that come with the new speedometer.

Let me know if you have any questions. Feel free to PM me or reply to the thread.

Thank you,
Kevin
Tech/Service
Auto Meter Products
Kevin@AutoMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Head Dog

Name: Tim
Member #: 1

My Bike(s): '07 K-9 SS

My Garage

BubbleHead will become famous soon enoughBubbleHead will become famous soon enough
Thanks for sharing.

Tim

'07 K-9
Orange Blast w/Black Racing Stripes
BubbleHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Name: Jason
Member #: 8595

My Bike(s): 05 Ridgeback, 05 Pitbull Sold,

My Garage

jjarkys is on a distinguished road
Another good example of autometer customer service. Ive always had great dealings with them.

They've got some cool looking options too.

http://procycle.autometer.com/Catalo...&gtid=1&gsid=3
jjarkys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Name: Grant
Member #: 303

My Bike(s): 07 Mastiff

Dawgboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks Kevin. One question, and don't take this in a negative way, but is this unit guaranteed not to fog?
Dawgboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Old Fart

Name: Tom
Member #: 145

My Bike(s): black cherry '07 K9

woodbutcher has a spectacular aura aboutwoodbutcher has a spectacular aura aboutwoodbutcher has a spectacular aura about
can we get them preset to a mileage that is correct for each individual bike so it will be close to correct?

narow's dad

"DEATH SMILES AT ALL OF US---ALL I CAN DO IS SMILE BACK" -- Al "Alicat" Sensoli RIP
woodbutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgboy View Post
Thanks Kevin. One question, and don't take this in a negative way, but is this unit guaranteed not to fog?
Our Pro-Cycle gauges are sealed against the elements. Whole not completely waterproof, they are water resistant. This allows you to wash the bike or see some light rain without worrying much about the gauges. It is very uncommon for the Pro-Cycle gauges to fog, and personally I have never seen any of them fog up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbutcher View Post
can we get them preset to a mileage that is correct for each individual bike so it will be close to correct?
While we do not have a way to order the speedo with the mileage already on it, after purchaing a replacement speedo you can send it in to our service department to have the mileage added to match the bike. The service to add the mileage currently has a small fee of $25 plus return shipping.

If you would like to have the mileage added, you can use our service form linked below. Fill the form out and send it in. We will contact you after we receive it but before we do any services.

Service Form
Old 07-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Supporting Business

Name: Curtis
Member #: 669

My Bike(s): KKKK9 KKKK9 Pet

KaptinAmerika has a spectacular aura aboutKaptinAmerika has a spectacular aura aboutKaptinAmerika has a spectacular aura aboutKaptinAmerika has a spectacular aura aboutKaptinAmerika has a spectacular aura about
I can't answer questions yet but I am getting information.
The following are available for shipping:

Speedometers

The remainder are Special Order Only
Old 07-25-2013, 01:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

Name: Oscar
Member #: 120

My Bike(s): 04' Pitbull

Oscar Maldonado is just really niceOscar Maldonado is just really niceOscar Maldonado is just really niceOscar Maldonado is just really niceOscar Maldonado is just really niceOscar Maldonado is just really niceOscar Maldonado is just really niceOscar Maldonado is just really niceOscar Maldonado is just really niceOscar Maldonado is just really nice
That's some good info right there!!! Thanks Kevin.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Old Fart

Name: Tom
Member #: 145

My Bike(s): black cherry '07 K9

woodbutcher has a spectacular aura aboutwoodbutcher has a spectacular aura aboutwoodbutcher has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin@AutoMeter View Post
While we do not have a way to order the speedo with the mileage already on it, after purchasing a replacement speedo you can send it in to our service department to have the mileage added to match the bike. The service to add the mileage currently has a small fee of $25 plus return shipping.

If you would like to have the mileage added, you can use our service form linked below. Fill the form out and send it in. We will contact you after we receive it but before we do any services.

Service Form
seems to me that if your shipping and service depts. are in the same place, it would be a whole lot easier to just walk the speedometer over to the service department, have them set the mileage, add $15-$25 dollars to the price, and then ship them out instead of having to ship them twice with the multiplied chance for damage to occur. maybe i just try to simplify things too much. .02

narow's dad

"DEATH SMILES AT ALL OF US---ALL I CAN DO IS SMILE BACK" -- Al "Alicat" Sensoli RIP
woodbutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbutcher View Post
seems to me that if your shipping and service depts. are in the same place, it would be a whole lot easier to just walk the speedometer over to the service department, have them set the mileage, add $15-$25 dollars to the price, and then ship them out instead of having to ship them twice with the multiplied chance for damage to occur. maybe i just try to simplify things too much. .02
Auto Meter does not do any direct sales, which adds complications to doing a special order. We sell our products through distribution only. Our production line and our service department work independently of each other. I understand that it sounds like a simple process but due to how our factory is set up, special orders are not always as simple as they seem.

For the special order, we would need to have the gauge built, sent over to service to add the mileage, and then get it over to shipping. The gauge would then need to be shipped to a specific distributor and then to a specific dealer to sell to you.

We have had much better success simply having the speedometer sent in to our service department to have the mileage added after purchase. This gives us the full control of the service as well as shipping it directly to you without a chance of the you ending up with the wrong speedo in the end.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Supporting Business

KaptinAmerika has a spectacular aura aboutKaptinAmerika has a spectacular aura aboutKaptinAmerika has a spectacular aura aboutKaptinAmerika has a spectacular aura aboutKaptinAmerika has a spectacular aura about
Wild Steed Worx can handle the mileage adjustment process for anyone purchasing the speedometer from Wild Steed Worx.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member #: 4638

My Bike(s): '07 K9

My Garage

Knuckles is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=Kevin@AutoMeter;568563]Our Pro-Cycle gauges are sealed against the elements. Whole not completely waterproof, they are water resistant. This allows you to wash the bike or see some light rain without worrying much about the gauges. It is very uncommon for the Pro-Cycle gauges to fog, and personally I have never seen any of them fog up.

Thanks for the info about replacement speedometer options. However I find it hard to believe you've never seen a foggedspeedometer. Come on, you are just screwing with us on that... right?
These things are almost famous for having moisture issues. Maybe it was before your time with the company?
Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Supporting Business

He didn't say he's never seen a fogged auto meter speedo
He said he's never seen a fogged ProCycle speedo
And as he started they have made some changes
With that said I'm afraid there is that hurdle to get over from the past

Last edited by KaptinAmerika; 07-25-2013 at 10:37 PM.
KaptinAmerika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #14 (permalink)

Name: Grant
Member #: 303

My Bike(s): 07 Mastiff

Dawgboy is an unknown quantity at this point
I specifically asked if it was guaranteed against fogging. Kevin didn't really address that so I think that says a lot (to me anyway).
Dawgboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:24 PM   #15 (permalink)

Name: Ker
Member #: 1333

My Bike(s): 07' Mastiff

My Garage

BWG56 is a jewel in the roughBWG56 is a jewel in the roughBWG56 is a jewel in the roughBWG56 is a jewel in the roughBWG56 is a jewel in the roughBWG56 is a jewel in the roughBWG56 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptinAmerika View Post
Wild Steed Worx can handle the mileage adjustment process for anyone purchasing the speedometer from Wild Steed Worx.
Well don't you just have all the answers good job