BIG DOG Motorcycles Forum  
Go Back   BIG DOG Motorcycles Forum > Big Dog Motorcycles > Customizing & Add-ons

Customizing & Add-ons Customizing related discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 09:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
Nukeranger

Name: Huw
Member #: 318

My Bike(s): 2008 Ridgeback, 02 Bonneville America, 07 Daytona 675, 01 Custom Bonneville 1968 BSA Chopper/Bobber

My Garage

Nukeranger will become famous soon enoughNukeranger will become famous soon enough
Welcome from Louisiana and a big thanks for the info.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
Supporting Business

Name: Curtis
Member #: 669

My Bike(s): KKKK9 KKKK9 Pet

KaptinAmerika has a spectacular aura aboutKaptinAmerika has a spectacular aura aboutKaptinAmerika has a spectacular aura aboutKaptinAmerika has a spectacular aura aboutKaptinAmerika has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWG56 View Post
Well don't you just have all the answers good job
Not all the answers but I'm trying like hell.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:05 AM   #18 (permalink)

Name: JR
Member #: 7163

My Bike(s): 2003 Big Dog Chopper

My Garage

JR03CHOPPER is on a distinguished road
I put one on my bike over a year ago. No problems with fogging. In Florida humidity. I didn't know about the milage adjustment. Thank you for the info.
JR03CHOPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:16 AM   #19 (permalink)

Name: Butch
Member #: 8395

My Bike(s): 04 bigdog chopper

CHOPTOP45 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the good info and welcome to the forum.
CHOPTOP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member #: 9799

Kevin@AutoMeter is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you all for the warm welcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgboy View Post
I specifically asked if it was guaranteed against fogging. Kevin didn't really address that so I think that says a lot (to me anyway).
Since the redesign of the Pro-Cycle gauges with the new odometer button, we simply do not receive calls from our customers regarding fogging issues. I don't know what other answer you are looking for. The gauge was redesigned with a button that is ultrasonically welded to the lens. This keeps moisture outside of the gauge.

If you happen to experience fogging on a Pro-Cycle gauge, you are always welcome to send it in for service to have it corrected. We will clean the interior of the gauge and reseal it when it is reassembled.
Kevin@AutoMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:20 PM   #21 (permalink)
Supporting Business

Name: Curtis
Member #: 669

My Bike(s): KKKK9 KKKK9 Pet

KaptinAmerika has a spectacular aura aboutKaptinAmerika has a spectacular aura aboutKaptinAmerika has a spectacular aura aboutKaptinAmerika has a spectacular aura aboutKaptinAmerika has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for your input on this Kevin
From the previous post and your statements it sounds like AutoMeter has gotten their hands around the fogging issue and stopped it. This certainly provides an additional avenue for BD owners searching for a new speedometer.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #22 (permalink)

Name: Alan
Member #: 355

My Bike(s): 2006 Big Dog K9

My Garage

Mickeetwo has a spectacular aura aboutMickeetwo has a spectacular aura aboutMickeetwo has a spectacular aura about
Welcome Kevin and thanks for the info.

If I had a tail..... it would be wagging
Mickeetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #23 (permalink)

Name: Grant
Member #: 303

My Bike(s): 07 Mastiff

Dawgboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin@AutoMeter View Post
Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Since the redesign of the Pro-Cycle gauges with the new odometer button, we simply do not receive calls from our customers regarding fogging issues. I don't know what other answer you are looking for. The gauge was redesigned with a button that is ultrasonically welded to the lens. This keeps moisture outside of the gauge.

If you happen to experience fogging on a Pro-Cycle gauge, you are always welcome to send it in for service to have it corrected. We will clean the interior of the gauge and reseal it when it is reassembled.

That's great Kevin. The alternatives with the original Autometer gauge supplied by Big dog when it fogged (as many did) was buy something else. As a consumer I have no idea what the cause of the failure was as my button was just fine. Having a history of moisture issues would warrant some testing IMO.

Thanks for the info. Good to have options
Dawgboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #24 (permalink)
TRUE COLORS COLLISION

Name: JIMI
Member #: 154

My Bike(s): big dog chopper 2007

My Garage

jimizee028 will become famous soon enough
There is a very easy 'How To " from the infamous GASMAN way back when,for the fogging speedo situation......
How To Cure your Fogging Speedo
jimizee028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:13 AM   #25 (permalink)

Name: JJ
Member #: 7307

My Bike(s): 2008 Mastiff EFI

My Garage

Jwooky is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello Kevin, welcome and thank you very much for taking time to stop by the forum and produce the how to.

I think that we have had a bad experience with Autometer however. I look down almost every ride through a cloud of fog. I have personally called Autometer for help on how to resolve the issue. I was basically told its Big Dogs fault and the Autometer rep could not offere any help.

I think we would like to understand specifically what the cause of the issue was and what has been done to correct the issue. I do not think it was related to the button as mine as are other members are in good shape and sealed tightly.

Moreover, it would be a great gesture to offer a solution to the issue we could perform to resolve the issue. For example, I had read one of the issues was the housing was molded out of nylon, which is hydroscopic and absorbed water. So perhaps painting it could resolve it.

I feel this would show support and would be standing behind your product. I feel we would be more likely to purchase your product if you would stand behind it and support it bettter.
Jwooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:37 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member #: 9799

Kevin@AutoMeter is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwooky View Post
Hello Kevin, welcome and thank you very much for taking time to stop by the forum and produce the how to.

I think that we have had a bad experience with Autometer however. I look down almost every ride through a cloud of fog. I have personally called Autometer for help on how to resolve the issue. I was basically told its Big Dogs fault and the Autometer rep could not offere any help.

I think we would like to understand specifically what the cause of the issue was and what has been done to correct the issue. I do not think it was related to the button as mine as are other members are in good shape and sealed tightly.

Moreover, it would be a great gesture to offer a solution to the issue we could perform to resolve the issue. For example, I had read one of the issues was the housing was molded out of nylon, which is hydroscopic and absorbed water. So perhaps painting it could resolve it.

I feel this would show support and would be standing behind your product. I feel we would be more likely to purchase your product if you would stand behind it and support it bettter.
Unfortunately we do not service gauges that were built under contact as an OE part. This is due to the contracts involved with both parties and parts availability. This would be why our service department was unable to assist you with a repair. I apologize for this, but unfortunately we are limited on what we are able to service. Additionally, many OEM gauges use unique parts and the parts simply run out when the contract ends.

Fogging is due to the change in temperature and humidity between the inside and outside of the gauge. If the inside of gauge has a high humidity, the incandescent bulb inside heats up the inside of the gauge and causes it to fog. Somewhere moisture made its way into the gauge and the change in temperature causes the fogging. In most cases, this is due to the odometer button n the front not completely sealing or moisture getting in from the back of the gauge.

The front of the gauge is sealed, but the rear is not completely air tight. This allows the gauge to breathe, which allows the meter movement to operate properly. If the gauge was weather tight, a change in temperature would increase the internal pressure of the gauge compared to atmospheric pressure.
Kevin@AutoMeter is offline   Reply With Quote